January 23rd, 2012
— The skin on your lips is 200 times more sensitive than your fingertips.
— Pain occurs when sounds are above 130 db (decibels).
— Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
— Stress can result in more headaches as a result of the body rerouting blood flow to other parts of the body.
— Dieters who sleep more take off more fat that those who sleep less.
— Wearing headphones for an hour increases the bacteria in your ear 700 times.
— It takes twice as long to lose new muscle if you stop working out than it did to gain it.
— Your ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid than when you aren’t.
— When you take a step, you are using up to 200 muscles.
— The lifespan of a tastebud is ten days.
— Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
— Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks so that it doesn’t digest itself.
January 16th, 2012
– If your DNA was stretched out it would reach to the moon 6,000 times.
– By weight, Bone is five times stronger than steel.
– Fidgeting can burn about 350 calories a day.
– It is possible for you to survive even after the removal of the spleen, the stomach, one kidney, one lung, 75% of the liver, 80% of the intestines, and almost every organ from the pelvic and groin area.
– Smokers get ten times more wrinkles than non-smokers.
– A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
– A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.
– The levels of two stress hormones, cortisol and epinephrine which suppress the body’s immune system, will actually drop after a dose of laughter.
– Scientists estimate that laughing 100 times is equivalent to a 10-minute workout on a rowing machine.
– The human brain uses approximately as much energy as a 10 watt light bulb.
– Coughing can cause air to move through your windpipe faster than the speed of sound – over a thousand feet per second!
January 9th, 2012
– Results from cognitive tests show 30% of 80-year-olds perform as well as young adults.
– Your brain is about 2% of your total body weight but uses 20% of your body’s energy.
– The energy used by the brain is enough to light a 25 watt bulb.
– More electrical impulses are generated in one day by a single human brain than by all the telephones in the world.
– How much does human brain think? 70,000 is the number of thoughts that it is estimated the human brain produces on an average day.
– After age 30, the brain shrinks a quarter of a percent (0.25%) in mass each year.
– Albert Einsteins brain weighed 1,230 grams (2.71 lbs), significantly less then the human average of 1,300g to 1,400g (3 lbs).
– Each year Americans consume 50 billion aspirin tablets or 15.5 million tons.
– 89.06 is the percentage of people who report normally writing with their right hand, 10.6% with their left and 0.34% with either hand.
(resource: brainhealthandpuzzles .com)