April 28th, 2012
Wearing headphones for an hour increases the bacteria in your ear 700 times.
Your ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid than when you aren’t.
The skin on your lips is 200 times more sensitive than your fingertips.
Pain occurs when sounds are above 130 db.
Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
Stress can result in more headaches as a result of the body rerouting blood flow to other parts of the body.
Dieters who sleep more take off more weight in fat that those who sleep less.
It takes twice as long to lose new muscle if you stop working out than it did to gain it.
The average person’s skin weighs twice as much as their brain.
When you take a step, you are using up to 200 muscles.
The lifespan of a tastebud is ten days.
Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks so that it doesn’t digest itself.
April 14th, 2012
Scientists estimate that laughing 100 times is equivalent to a 10-minute workout on a rowing machine.
The levels of two stress hormones, cortisol and epinephrine which suppress the body’s immune system, will actually drop after a dose of laughter.
If your DNA was stretched out it would reach to the moon 6,000 times.
By weight, Bone is five times stronger than steel.
Fidgeting can burn about 350 calories a day.
It is possible for you to survive even after the removal of the spleen, the stomach, one kidney, one lung, 75% of the liver, 80% of the intestines, and almost every organ from the pelvic and groin area.
Smokers get ten times more wrinkles than non-smokers.
A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.
The human brain uses approximately as much energy as a 10 watt light bulb.
Coughing can cause air to move through your windpipe faster than the speed of sound – over a thousand feet per second!
April 6th, 2012
– Studies have shown your life expectancy might increase by up to two hours for every hour you walk. (grab your shoes and get walking)
– The average person you will walk about 70,000 miles during their lifetime.
– Did you know that it only takes 100 too many calories each day to gain 10 pounds in a year? (that can creep up quickly!)
– Did you know that it only takes a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week? (that’s like 2 cans of soda pop, or 2 candy bars, or 2 Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks – surely you can do without those right?!)
– Did you know that a pound of muscle burns about 9 calories a day, and a pound of fat only burns 2?
– People that get enough Vitamin D are an average of 16 pounds lighter than those that don’t. (Vitamin D is not just in milk, go for a walk and get some sunlight!)