July 29th, 2012
The zucchini is a long, dark green fruit that measures from 8 to 10 inches. A summer squash, zucchinis have a thinner and more tender skin than winter squashes. They also feature a mild taste.
Zucchinis make a nutritious addition to most diets. The fruit is low in calories, featuring 16 calories for each 1-cup serving of raw zucchini. Zucchinis also contain around 280 mg of potassium, 284 IU of vitamin A and 25 mcg of folate per serving.
When choosing a zucchini, pick a firm squash that’s free of blemishes and bruises. Zucchinis with hard skin and a dull appearance are likely to be overripe.
Consume zucchinis as soon as possible. They typically last up to five days when refrigerated in a plastic bag or container.
Italian immigrants brought the zucchini squash to the United States in the 1920s, according to the University of Illinois Extension. The squash caught on and became popular in the 1930s.
Source: Facts on Zucchini | eHow.com
July 21st, 2012
Excessive cleanliness is bad for your health. A little bit of germs helps your body’s immune system.
Washing your nose with salt water can help you avoid a lot of allergy symptoms.
People who eat at least 5 walnuts a week live on average 7 years longer because walnuts ability to prevent heart disease.
Almonds, avocado can increase fertility.
Each person has about 4 pounds of bacteria living inside of his/her body.
Overweight people spend an average of $485 more to clothing, $828 more for additional seating in an airplane and to $36 more on gasoline, than skinny people.
July 13th, 2012
If your body is not functioning at an optimum level, you will be unable to do the things that make you happy. In order to have a healthy body, you need to do the right things that consist of living a healthy lifestyle. Most importantly, exercising and good proper nutrition.
1. Slows Signs of Aging
Because of the less stress in your organs as well as the fewer amounts of toxins that stay in your body, your body will age well.
2. Increase Energy
The food you eat is effectively converted by your body to energy that you can use.
3. Increased Stamina
A good diet also ensures that you will not get tired as easily.
4. Physically Fit Body
All the exercise in the world will not give you an ideal body without the proper fuel.
July 6th, 2012
- You can get exercise from just a trip to the zoo, thanks to all the walking!
- There are lots of great ways to eat fruits and veggies – like on kebabs!
- Most restaurant entrees are two servings.
- Frozen and fresh fruit both provide lots of fiber.
- A beach trip can be more than just fun, it can be great exercise!
- Breakfast helps maintain healthy weight.
- All foods can be worked into a healthy diet!
- It’s easy to make your own healthy trail mix at home.
- Exercise can increase good cholesterol!
- Cabbage is a great source of vitamins.
- Salads are an excellent way to fill up. Yum!
- You should read the labels on the foods you eat and buy!
- Dried fruits make a great snack.
- Drinking water is the best way to stay hydrated.
- Shoveling snow might seem like a chore, but helps you stay active in winter!
- Taking the stairs is an easy way to get exercise.
- Eating grilled fresh fruit can make a delicious dessert.
- It’s important to take good care of your teeth from an early age!
- Veggies and meats taste great steamed.
- Cooking dinner as a family is a great way to bond!
NourishInteractive.com provides fun, interactive online games for kids that are designed to teach through animation, exploration, and decision-making. Created by nutrition and health care professionals, Nourish Interactive supports parents and teachers with materials, lesson plans, and printables that are designed to make nutrition fun and promote a healthier lifestyle for the whole family. The website is completely free and available in English and Spanish.